top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureGeorge Vascik

OOPS

At the new year, I thought that I had resuscitated my GIS. Not so. The shapefile still needed work around the edges. As in any project, its those outstanding edges that were the most difficult.


When that task was finally complete and I tried to populate it with my data file, I noticed that many polling places were showing no results. This could not be the case, as I had notes on the handful of polling places for which I did not have data. A meticulous review of my Project_Master file indicated that perhaps 1/8 of my data was missing. How? Why? Did I lose data in the conversion for xls to cvs (required by QGIS?


Fortunately, after much searching, I was able to find an uncorrupted backup file. I made a spreadsheet of the missing polling place data and am presently integrating the "lost" data into my Project_Master file. Doing so, I uncovered another problem. The results for the second national election in 1924 were jumbled. I will have to diagnose that problem before I continue.


The creation of the original GIS map took +3000 hours; creating the data file (not counting the time collecting data) took a further +2000. I am comforted that all of this work was not lost!


5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

An exciting discovery

I am currently breaking my voting data down into milieu - Conservative, Catholic, Liberal, Socialist - as part of my work on Theodor Tantzen and the German Democrats. Temporally and intellectually con

Data Spreadsheet finally updated; GIS working

Mid-February, ir looked like I was ready to use my data on my project on Theodor Tantzen and the German Democrats. Right On examination, I founds that some of my data was incomplete, particularly for

One problem solved

I scrolled through the votes by polling place for the problematic second election of 1924. I found that when I ordered rows by polling place numbers and look at the handful of major cities, all of th

コメント


bottom of page